Friday, September 14, 2012

M7 Priest

The M7 (Howitzer Motor Carriage) is a U.S. howitzer , which was introduced in 1942 and in the Second World War and Korean War was used.

M7 Priest

The M7 Priest was developed in 1941, because the U.S. Army a lightweight, all-terrain vehicle for artillery support was lacking. The Priest is based on the chassis of the M3 Lee / Grant . The main armament consists of a 105-mm gun, the standard gun of the U.S. Army. Due to its excellent ballistic characteristics of this gun could both artillery and for antitank be used effectively. Only a few pieces of artillery of World War II were suitable so good anti-tank, as the specially developed ammunition types mostly from fragmentation or explosive shells for use against infantry existed. These projectiles were not sufficient clout to destroy a tank. The 105-mm gun was among the few, for the armor piercing ammunition was available. In the direction to the right of the gun in a pulpit, a .50 caliber - (12.7 mm) - MG for air defense and local area defense installed. This pulpit owes his nickname M7 Priest ( German : priests ) as they minister to the pulpit in the church remembers. The British Army has ordered 5,500 units that were not delivered in full, the U.S. Army about 3000.

M7 Priest Kangaroo

The M7 Priest Kangaroo was basically a kind of by-product proved, however, soon to be absolutely suitable for the intended tasks. It was developed in early 1944 by the Canadian army from standardized M7 Priest in the U.S. Army.

He should be used to bring them safely through enemy infantry machine gun fire in order to sell them directly on site.

The vehicles in the howitzer and ammunition holders were removed and replaced by a former armor plate. In these times were still loopholes for guns or PIATs drilled. These changes were not planned by the developers. In addition, the side skirts have been increased and extended to the rear, to provide for the interior better protection against infantry fire. The characteristic MG pulpit remained.


The Kangaroo was intended purely as armored personnel carriers, but was used as a radio, ammunition and armored ambulance. When it rains a tarpaulin was pulled over the vehicle, which was attached to many eyes around the battle space to the interior of at least a bit to keep dry. A pole in the center of the vehicle should support the tarp so that rain water will not collect and tear the tarpaulin was, but expired at the sides.
Even with fitted tarp by a 15 to 20 cm wide slot between the vehicle and a complete Plane visibility and enemy combat was possible. Depending on the season there were three covers (autumn, summer and winter camouflage) are available to make an aerial reconnaissance. The entire tank was similar to some of the later U.S. military vehicles are completely camouflaged with different shaped plan. Most vehicles were but disguised as usual with color.

It was also thought convert the Kangaroo for the Pioneers. Similar to the "Sherman Crab" before the tank was a roller are mounted, should be attached to the number of chains.Rotating the roller, the chains on the floor and should hit the bottom lying mines to detonate. In addition, it should be equipped with machine guns and flamethrowers to attack enemy positions can. Such vehicles, the Western Allies had been successfully used in the Battle of El Alamein (North Africa 1943), Sicily, Italy and the landings in Normandy and southern France.

The "M7 Priest K Crab" was never built because the Americans ("Sherman Crab") and the British ("Churchill Crab") already had enough effective mine clearing. Moreover, they were after the war simply unnecessary.
There were also efforts to build M7 Priest Kangaroo with closed ceilings and two or more deck plates to increase the armor protection on. This, however, getting out of the vehicle would have been a lot more difficult and lengthy, so the plan was never implemented. While its use as a radio or observation tank would have been possible, but it was never included in the plans of the British Army.

Probation at the front

The first use of the Kangaroo was in August or September 1944 in France (mention The reports on five different data). In addition to the four-man crew (driver, radio operator, gunner, commander) were up to 15 infantrymen are transported with full riot gear, whereby the engine area was fully utilized after the battle space.

A footage from World War II (probably in January 1945, recorded on the Western Front) shows a Canadian M7 Kangaroo, which is a captured German 12cm grenade launcher fitted in the interior and in addition to the crew of four men, many infantrymen and numerous pockets of outside wearing. Attached he drags both a single-axle trailer full to the brim and a 105-mm howitzer with mounted gunners. This should probably be the armored personnel arrived at the limit of its capabilities.

As with the normal Priest also open up the interior was the Achilles heel of the tank, as it could easily be set by hand grenades out of action. The crews at the front fighting this problem by nets or tarpaulins (ponchos) about the vehicles clamped, which should throw back the grenades. This procedure was quite successful.

Despite some shortcomings, the Priest Kangaroo enjoyed due to its technical reliability and ease of maintenance of its high popularity among the Allied tanks and infantry troops.The Priest Kangaroo was not only by the forces of the Commonwealth used, but also by the U.S. Army, and of the exile forces of Poland and France.

After the World War

After the war, the M7 Priest was produced in series and then also in the Korean War used. One of the last "real" Kangaroos stands as a memorial at an army training ground in Scotland, another stood up to 2002 in a museum in southern England. He is currently on loan to the Russian Kubinka Tank Museum to visit. It is the last with original and complete interior and a complete gun.

At the post-war version were manufactured after 1954 (before there were conversions) made numerous changes. Among other things, the MG pulpit was increased by about 10 cm, as well as the side skirts. Even the front and rear armor has been reinforced.

Use in the Bundeswehr and other armies

The M7 Priest was the first of the Bundeswehr and howitzer was introduced 1957th Even today, newer versions of the Kangaroo in some armies in Africa and South Asia in use, but still show the characteristics of the first type, for example the MG pulpit and the open-ended battle space. However, they should be put out of service by 2007, as their technology completely outdated and the ever-increasing demand for spare parts is no longer cover. Appearances on the Israeli side in the various wars are certainly a few years after the Second World War.

Specifications M7

  • Long : 6.02 m
  • Breite : 2.88 m
  • Höhe : 2.54 m
  • Weight: 22.967 tons
  • Climbing ability: 0.61 m
  • Grave-border capacity: 2.29 m
  • Fording: 1.22 m
  • Climbing capacity: up to 60%
  • Engine: Air-cooled Continental R-975 9-cylinder petrol engine 340 hp; VVSS drive
  • Speed: 41.8 km / h on road / 24.1 km / h on road
  • Range : 135 to 200 km
  • Crew: 7 men (commander, driver, five men to operate the howitzer)
  • Panzerung: 12,7-62 mm
  • Armament:
    • a 105-mm Howitzer M1A2, M2A1 or M2 with 69 shots, range: 10,973 m
    • a 12.7-mm machine gun M2 Browning (Cal. 50) with 300 rounds
  • Portability: The IFV: 15 men, as sanitary tank: 11 men (5 to enter, 6 seated), as Ammunition: Up to 100 rounds of 105-mm ammunition (enough for almost 5 late "Sherman Howitzer" tanks with 105 - mm gun) and 4000 shot-gun ammunition (just as an example of the capacity of the M7)
  • Baujahr: 1942-1945
  • No. of items: 4276 (all versions combined)

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Panzerbatterie (Traction battery)

Tank batteries are by armor plates covered or armor plates gun emplacements .
First introduced in 1869 Hermann Gruson such armored batteries in hard cast ago, inspired by Schumann's armor stand . This was later in France imitated.
The tank batteries translated mainly of post-and saddle plates in the front and from the overlying cover plates. The pillar plates are rounded and get off after the back to let slip enemy projectiles. The cover plates form the transition to the rear-mounted casemates .
The tank batteries, the colonel Vogl since 1885 when the fortifications of Tyrol built consisted of granite masonry with backward inclined front wall. Each gun emplacement was by a saddle plate from Compound steel ( composite closed), based on cast iron or cast steel blocks and assisted the transition was made ​​to the vault through a steel cap.
Tank batteries have lost their relevance in the modern military system and are only used sporadically.

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Amoured train (Panzerzug)

An armoured train is a train protected with armour. They are usually equipped with railroad cars armed with artillery and machine guns. They were mostly used during the late 19th and early 20th century, when they offered an innovative way to quickly move large amounts of firepower. Their use was discontinued in most countries when road vehicles became much more powerful and offered more flexibility, and because armoured trains were too vulnerable to track sabotage as well as attacks from the air. However, the Russian Federation used improvised armoured trains in the Second Chechen War in the late 1990s and 2000s.

Design and equipment

The railroad cars on an armoured train were designed for many tasks. Typical roles included:

  • Artillery - fielding mixture of guns and machine guns
  • Infantry - designed to carry infantry units, may also mount machine guns
  • Machine gun - dedicated to machine guns
  • Anti-aircraft - equipped with anti-aircraft guns
  • Command - similar to infantry wagons, but designed to be a train command centre
  • Anti-tank - equipped with anti-tank guns, usually in a tank gun turret
  • Platform - unarmoured, used for any purpose from the transport of ammunition or vehicles, through track repair or derailing protection to railroad ploughs for track destruction.
  • Troop sleepers
  • The German Wehrmacht would sometimes put a Fremdgerät, such as a captured French Somua S-35 or Czech PzKpfw 38(t) light tank, or Panzer II light tank on a flatbed car which could be quickly offloaded by means of a ramp and used away from the range of the main railway line to chase down enemy partisans
  • Missile transport - the USSR had railway-based RT-23 Molodets ICBMs by the late 1980s (to reduce the chances of a first strike succeeding in destroying the launchers for a retaliatory strike). The US at one time proposed having a railway-based system for the MX Missile program but this never got past the planning stage

Different types of armour were used to protect from attack by tanks. In addition to various metal plates, cement and sandbags were used in some cases for ad-hoc armoured trains.
Armoured trains were sometimes escorted by a kind of rail-tank called a draisine. One such example was the 'Littorina' armoured trolley which had a cab in the front and rear, each with a control set so it could be driven down the tracks in either direction. Littorina mounted two dual 7.92mm MG13 machine gun turrets from Panzer I light tanks.


Armoured trains saw use during the 19th century in the American Civil War (1861–1865), the Franco-Prussian War (1870–1871), the First and Second Boer Wars (1880–81 and 1899–1902), and during the 20th century in the Mexican Revolution (1910–1920), the First (1914–1918) and Second World Wars (1939–1945) and the First Indochina War (1946–1954). The most intensive use of armoured trains was during the Russian Civil War (1918–1920).
During the Boer War, Winston Churchill, then a war-correspondent, was travelling aboard an armoured train on 15 November 1899, when it was ambushed by a Boer commando lead by General Louis Botha. Churchill and many of the train's contingent were captured, many others escaped, including wounded soldiers who had been carried on the train's engine.
In 1904 armoured trains were used by Russia during the Russo-Japanese War.

World War I

During World War I Russia used a mix of light and heavy armoured trains. The heavy trains mounted 4.2 inch or 6 inch guns, the light trains were equipped with 76.2mm guns.

Austria-Hungary also fielded armoured trains against the Italians in World War I.
A British Royal Navy armoured train, armed with four QF 6 inch naval guns and one QF 4 inch naval gun, was used in support of the British Expeditionary Force in the opening phase of the First Battle of Ypres in October 1914.

Interwar years

The Czechoslovak Legion used heavily armed and armoured trains to control large lengths of the Trans-Siberian Railway  (and of Russia itself) during the Russian Civil War at the end of World War I.

The Bolshevik forces in the Russian civil war used a wide range of armoured trains. Many were improvised by locals, others were constructed by naval engineers at the Putilov and Izhorskiy factories. As a result the trains ranged from little more than sandbagged flatbeds to the heavily armed and armoured trains produced by the naval engineers. An attempt to standardise the design from October 1919 only had limited success. By the end of the war the Bolshevik forces had 103 armoured trains of all types.

A total of five armoured trains were built during the Estonian War of Independence on the Estonian side. They were commanded by Johan Pitka.
After the First World War the use of armoured trains declined. They were used in China in the twenties and early 30s during the Chinese Civil War, most notably by the warlord Zhang Zongchang, who employed refugee Russians to man them.

World War II

Poland used armoured trains extensively during the Invasion of Poland. One observer noted that"Poland had only few armoured trains, but their officers and soldiers were fighting well. Again and again they were emerging from a cover in thick forests, disturbing German lines". One under-appreciated aspect of so many Polish armoured trains being deployed during the Polish Defensive War in 1939 is that when German planes attacked the railroads, it was usually the tracks themselves. As late as September 17, three fresh divisions in the east were moved westward by train. On September 18, three more divisions followed.

This in turn prompted Nazi Germany to reintroduce armoured trains into its own armies. Germany then used them to a small degree during World War II. However, they introduced significant designs of a versatile and well-equipped nature, including railcars which housed anti-aircraft gun turrets, or designed to load and unload tanks and railcars which had complete armour protection with a large concealed gun/howitzer.

Germany also had fully armoured locomotives which were used on such trains.
During the Slovak National Uprising, the Slovak resistance used three armoured trains. The Hurban,Štefánik and Masaryk, which were built in the Zvolen railway factory, are preserved and can be seen near Zvolen Castle.

The Soviets had a large number of armoured trains at the start of World War II but many were lost in 1941. Trains built later in the war tended to be fitted with T-34 or KV series tank turrets. Others were fitted as specialist anti-aircraft batteries. A few were fitted as heavy artillery batteries often using guns taken from ships.

Canada also (briefly) used an armoured train to patrol the Pacific coast and guard against a possible Japanese invasion.

Twelve armoured trains were formed in Britain in 1940 as part of the preparations to face a German invasion; these were initially armed with QF 6 pounder 6 cwt Hotchkiss guns and six Bren Guns. They were operated by Royal Engineer crews and manned by Royal Armoured Corps troops. In late 1940 preparations began to hand the trains over to the Polish Army in the West, who operated them until 1942. They continued in use in Scotland and were operated by the Home Guard until the last one was withdrawn in November 1944. A 6-pounder wagon from one of these trains is preserved at the Tank Museum. A miniature armoured train ran on the 15-inch gauge Romney Hythe and Dymchurch Railway.

Later uses

In the First Indochina War, the French Union used the armoured and armed train La Rafale as both a cargo-carrier and a mobile surveillance unit. In February 1951 the first Rafale was in service on the Saigon-Nha Trang line, Vietnam while from 1947 to May 1952 the second one which was escorted by onboard Cambodian troops of the BSPP (Brigade de Surveillance de Phnom Penh) was used on the Phnom Penh-Battambang line, Cambodia. In 1953 both trains were attacked by the Viet-Minh guerrillas who destroyed or mined stone bridges when passing by. Fulgencio Batista’s army operated an armoured train during the Cuban revolution though it was derailed and destroyed during the Battle of Santa Clara.

Facing the threat of Chinese cross-border raids during the Sino-Soviet split, the USSR developed armoured trains in the early 1970s to protect the Trans-Siberian Railway. According to different accounts, four or five trains were built. Every train included ten main battle tanks, two light amphibious tanks, several AA guns, as well as several Armoured Personnel Carriers, supply vehicles and equipment for railway repairs. They were all mounted on open platforms or in special rail cars. Different parts of the train were protected with 5–20 mm thick armour. These trains were used by the Soviet Army to intimidate nationalist paramilitary units in 1990 during the early stages of theNagorno-Karabakh War.

An improvised armoured train named the "Krajina express" (Krajina ekspres) was used during the war in Croatia (part of the Yugoslav wars) of the early 1990s by the army of the Republic of Serbian Krajina (a self-proclaimed republic of Serbs living within Croatia that sought to remain in Yugoslavia). Composed of three fighting cars and three freight cars hooked to the front to protect it from mine blasts, the train carried a M18 Hellcat with a 76mm cannon, a 40mm Bofors, a 20mm cannon, twin 57mm rocket launchers and a 120mm mortar, plus several machine guns of between 12.7 and 7.62 mm. During the siege of Bihac in 1994, it was attacked on a few occasions with antitank rocket-propelled grenades and 76mm guns and hit by a 9K11 Malyutka missile, but the damage was minor, as most of the train was covered with thick sheets of rubber which caused the missile's warhead to explode too early to do any real damage. The train was eventually destroyed by its own crew lest it fall into enemy hands during Operation Storm, the Croatian offensive which overran the Srpska Krajina. The Army of Republika Srpska operated a similar train that was ambushed and destroyed in October 1992 at the entrance to the town of Gradačac by Bosnian Muslim forces that included a T-55 tank. The wreckage was later converted into a museum. The Croatian Army deployed a two-wagon armoured train built in Split with a shield composed of two plates, one 8mm and the other 6mm thick, with a 30-50mm gap filled with sand between them. The vehicle was armed with 12.7mm machine guns.

Towards the end of the Cold War, both superpowers began to develop railway-based ICBMs mounted on armoured trains; the Soviets deployed the SS-24 missile in 1987, but budget costs and the changing international situation led to the cancellation of the programme, with all remaining railway-based missiles finally being deactivated in 2005.

One armoured train that remains in regular use is that of Kim Il-sung and Kim Jong-il, which the former received as a gift from the Soviet Union.

Armoured tram

Armoured trams also existed, although apparently not purpose-built as some of the armoured trains. The just-formed Red Army used at least one armoured tram during the fighting for Moscow in the October Revolution in 1917. The Slovak National Uprising, more well known for its armoured trains described above, also used at least one makeshift example.

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Marder III

The Marder III (Sd.Kfz. 138 and 139) was a tank destroyer of the German Wehrmacht in the Second World War .

Tank Destroyer Marder III
Main Features
5.68 m (with tube)
2,15 m
2,40 m
10,5 t
Armor and armament
11–25 mm
Main armament
7.5-cm-Pak 40/3 L/46, 7.62-cm Pak 36 (r)
Secondary armament
1 × 7.92 mm MG 34
150 PS
Top speed
32 km / h (road), 19 km / h (cross)
Power / weight
14.3 hp / t
210 km (road), 140 km (off-road)


Like all the vehicles Marder series, they were a temporary measure to compensate for the lack of mobile anti-tank weapons.The Marder III was built in three main variants, all based on the chassis of the Panzer 38 (t) based.

Marder III Sd.Kfz. 139

In the first series, first as Panzerjäger 38 (t) for 7.62 cm PaK 36 (r) denotes, was captured in large numbers Soviet 7.62-cm field gun F-22 on the tub old armor (t) 38 set, but also partly on new chassis of the Ausf G. The gun barrel has been revamped so that both the 7.62-cm-Russian and the German 75-millimeter ammunition could be used. This required the combustion chamber to be extended. Due to the design the car was very high. The gun crew had. Their position above the engine compartment at the rear, where it was protected only weakly and it up and back was no armor protection Originally designed for the eastern front, the car has been well short of the German Africa Corps delivered. The British troops were from the Marder III so impressed that they believed it with the 8.8-cm Flak to have to do. There are 30 rounds of ammunition were taken.

Marder III Sd.Kfz. 138

The later variant Marder III Ausf H was how many Marder II , a German 7.5-cm PaK 40 as a main weapon. The design of protective armor for the gun was designed homogeneous and laterally enlarged considerably. Also could be the battle space down a little deeper. There are 38 rounds of ammunition were taken.

For the last production series was specifically designed for the now self-propelled guns redesigned chassis of the Panzer 38 (t) Ausf M used. The engine was moved to the middle of the battle space and on the ground at the rear of the tub. So also the splinter guard for the team has been improved because of the fighting compartment was closed now back up but it was still open. The redesigned front driver also offered better protection against fire. There are 27 rounds of ammunition were taken.
(Other sources speak of 975 pieces with 1143 pieces  ) was now Marder III Ausf M vehicle called the most produced version of the Marder series and proved to be in use on all fronts as effective but vulnerable tank destroyer. The production of the Ausf M ran from June 1943 to July 1944, to the production of a more efficient and better armored (t) Jagdpanzer 38 was switched to was also based on the chassis of the Panzer 38 (t).


  • Armament:
    • 7,62-cm-Pak 36 (r) (Sd.Kfz. 139) bzw. 7,5-cm-Pak 40/3 L/46 (Sd.Kfz. 138 Ausf. H und M)
    • 7.92-mm MG 37 (t) (up Ausf.H) or 7.92-mm MG 34 (ascending M)
  • Engine: six-cylinder in-line engine Praga EPA TZJ with 150 hp
  • Radius: 210 km road / 140 km Terrain
  • Crew: four
  • Armour: 11-25 mm
  • Weight: 10.5 t
  • Maximum road: 32 km / h
  • Maximum area: 19 km / h

Monday, September 10, 2012

Sturmpanzer Grille

The howitzer Grille was a self-propelled gun with a 15-inch howitzer . She was of the Wehrmacht in the Second World War, used from 1942 until the end of the war.

After the initial order for 200 units of the cricket, the new 38 (t) chassis (Ausf M) can be used, however, the production delayed at BMM (Bohemian-Moravian Machine Works Ltd.), so that t to the H-frame of 38 ( ) had to be used.

The first version of the cricket then the circumstances based on the half-Panzer 38 (t) Ausf H, the rear engine was installed. The tower was removed and moved forward by a structure with the 15-cm howitzer replaced (SIG 33). From February to April 1943 a total of 91 vehicles (including a prototype) were produced in BMM in Prague. The designation was " 15-cm heavy infantry gun 33 (Sf) on Panzer 38 (t) Ausf H "(Sd.Kfz. 138/1).

The second contract section of the cricket was based on the Panzer 38 (t) Ausf M, the motor was in the middle. As with the first version of the tower was replaced by a building as a battle space that was located in this design at the rear end of the vehicle and was also armed with the 150-mm howitzer. From April to June 1943 and again from October 1943 to September 1944 282 vehicles and 120 ammunition carriers were manufactured. Lie was a cricket field maintenance troops could expand the howitzer and mount it on an ammunition carrier, regaining operational Grille was available.

In both variants quickly became apparent that the 15-cm howitzer too big and too heavy for the base and was too far back or too far forward stood. The vehicle was not in any case balanced. There was also an earth spade, so that there was a risk that the vehicle fell down to a low shot angle. The shooting was bad behavior (jumping the gun for every shot, hence the name "Cricket"). The thin armor offered no real protection and the cricket led to little ammunition. Nevertheless, 373 were built.


  • Combat weight: about 12 t
  • Length: 4.70 m
  • Wide: 2.40 m
  • Height: 2.65 m
  • Engine: six-cylinder petrol engine, 125 HP
  • Chassis: Chain 4 wheels, 2 support rollers
  • Speed: 40 km / h
  • Range: max. 250 km
  • Armament: a 15-howitzer 15 SiG 33, a MG 34
  • Ammo: 45 rounds gun, gun shot 600
  • Armor: 20 mm pan, fighting compartment 10 mm
  • Crew: 5 men

Sunday, September 9, 2012


The Sexton ( sexton or gravediggers ) was a British self-propelled gun in the Second World War .


The British Army in early 1941 sought a suitable armored vehicle for the installation of the British standard 25-pounder cannon. The experience with the Bishop showed its poor suitability, so another solution had to be found. In the U.S. under the name T originated some 51 self-propelled guns, the M7 Priest . In some of the states lacked the capacity for mass production of the British artillery support.
The project received more attention, as of 1942 the construction of British armored forces was forced. It demands of the tank commanders were (in particular the fighting in North Africa) for mobile artillery that could keep up with the tanks, loudly.
Upon further search of the relevant committee met with Canada , where the Montreal Locomotive Works in Sorel with the Cruiser Tank Ram Mk I chassis forth from one to the M3 Lee / Grant built (like the M7 Priest) similar tanks. The Ram was already considered obsolete, so that its production capacity has been released. In this neatly polished chassis 1942, the British 25-pounder gun was set. An open structure provided a good side Richtsfeld and full increase, so that in contrast to Bishop, the gun could take full effect. In the construction of a lot of experience and advantages of the M7 Priest were processed. The combination was known as Sexton, which was used mainly as a field artillery weapon to support tank battalions. The vehicle was a total of 112 rounds of ammunition, which in addition to explosives and smoke grenades 18 tanks were explosive shells. Production began in 1943, by 1944 he had almost completely replaced the M7 Priest from the British Army. 1944 and 1945 the Sexton was also used in North West Europe. Until the end of 2150 total production pieces were built. The main variant is the purpose-built command tanks without the cannon, but with additional radios. As a reliable, robust and effective weapon of Sexton remained until the 1950s in the service of the British and Canadian army and until recently in the service of other nations.


Montreal Locomotive Works
25,85 t
6 (commander, driver, gunner, loader, gunner and radio operator)
Main weapon
a 25-pounder (87.6 mm) with 112 shots (page leveling range: left = 25 °, 40 ° right)
In addition to arming
2 × 7.7 mm MG Bren mit 50 Magazinen, 2 × 9-mm- Sten-MPI ,
12 Handgranaten , Signalpistole, 12.7-mm-MG Browning M2
air-cooled 9-cylinder radial engine Wright Continental R975-4, 400 hp / 298.3 kW
Top speed
42 km / h (road)
290 km
up to 32 mm
6,12 m
2,72 m
2,44 m
Ground Pressure
0,81 kg/cm^2
Climbing ability up to
0,61 m
Ford depth
1,22 m
Grave to overcome
2,51 m
1941 to 1956 (Canada until 1959, importing nations partly to the present)
Construction time
1941 to end of 1945

Sexton Mk.I

The first 125 vehicles produced

Sexton Mk.II

Additional boxes for batteries and associated generator at the rear.

Sexton GPO

When Sexton GPO ( G un P osition O fficer / command tank) removed the gun to make room for a radio No. 19 to provide for directing the artillery fire.


  • Polish 1st Armoured Division – Nordwesteuropa
  • 11th Armoured Division - North West Europe
  • - Italy